Enroll In School / Residency



    Welcome to Farmington Public Schools!

    We are happy you are here!  You can become a member of our fine district in one of the following ways.


    District Residents

    If you reside within our District boundaries, you are able to enroll your children at any time. Farmington Public Schools includes Farmington, Farmington Hills and a portion of West Bloomfield. You can verify District boundaries by viewing our District Map.  If you are not sure which school your child should attend within our school district, please refer to our District Street Guide (Shows which schools are assigned to specific street addresses).

    Farmington Public Schools is not an open enrollment school district. You must live within the state defined District boundaries in order to enroll.  The State of Michigan bases residency on your domicile, typically identified as the place of permanent residence, where you sleep at night.


    Schools of Choice

    Please see our Schools of Choice Section (students residing in Oakland County) for further information.  


    Where to Enroll

    Students enroll at the school building they are assigned based on their address.  See Boundary Maps or Street Guide to determine which school your child/children would attend.  

    If parent/guardian does not own or rent their dwelling in which they are living, residency verification must begin at Central Office, 32500 Shiawassee St., Farmington, MI 48336. Please call 248-489-3349 to schedule an appointment.  


    Residency Documentation

    The following information must be provided by the parent/guardian at the time of enrollment: 


    Photo I.D., such as a driver’s license, State I.D., or passport of parent or legal guardian. Driver’s license or state I.D. must show current address*.

    Three current proofs; one from Column I, and two from Column II, in the name and address* of parent or legal guardian. 

    * Farmington Public Schools does not accept a P.O. Box as a valid address.


    Column I (one required – must be current) Column II (two required – must be current)
    Warranty Deed Gas Bill
    Current Property Tax Document Electric Bill
    Lease – Apartment/Home Rental – All tenants and authorized occupants' names, including lease beginning/ending dates, must be on lease.  Lease must be signed by both landlord and tenant.

    Telephone Bill
    (landline or cell)

    Closing Papers (accepted only if you moved into your house within the past 30 days) Cable/Satellite

    Accepted Purchase Agreement – Signed by all parties with closing date indicated
    Depending on time of year – with authorization from Central Office. 
    Central Office must be contacted for additional stipulations.  

    (Water Bill Not Accepted)



    Legal guardianship documentation, obtained from the Probate Court, is required at the time of enrollment (if applicable). Student must live with a parent/legal guardian residing in the school district.


    Birth Certificate

    • A child must be at least 5 years of age on September 1, 2018 to enroll in Kindergarten for the 2018-2019 school year.
    • Original birth certificate must be provided, and a copy will be made.


    Immunization Records


    Vision Screening – Kindergarten

    Michigan Law (Public Health Code, Act 368, and Michigan School Code, Act 291) requires vision screening for kindergarten entrance. 

    Vision screening done by a health department technician, a physician or an eye doctor fulfills this requirement. 

    Oakland County Health Division offers free vision screening for County residents.  Call 248-424-7070 for an appointment. 


    Records from Previous Schools

    Parent will be asked to supply student's records from previous school or sign a release for request of the records.