FB Pixel Skip To Main Content

Benefit FAQs

Q: I’m turning 65 this year. How does this impact my FPS medical coverage?

A: If you, or your spouse, are turning 65, you must engage 3 months before you turn 65 to enroll for Medicare. Most people who have employer sponsored health plans only enroll in Medicare Part A (hospital insurance) as Part A typically does not have any premiums. For those opting to continue their FPS coverage, Medicare Part B (medical insurance) and Part D (prescription coverage) are not necessary. Employer coverage is considered primary coverage with Medicare Part A being secondary. Your coverage under FPS does not change when you enroll in Medicare while you are still working.

It is important to enroll during your initial enrollment period so you do not draw a late penalty for Part B. For more information on how to engage for Medicare, visit Medicare.gov and visit the Getting Started with Medicare page at: https://www.medicare.gov/basics/get-started-with-medicare


Q: I plan to retire this year. When does my FPS coverage end?

A: Coverage under FPS stops at the end of the month in which you leave employment. For coverage after you retire, you would make those decisions with the assistance of the Office of Retirement Services (ORS). Visit their Ready to Retire page as early as 2-5 years prior to retirement to be prepared at: https://www.michigan.gov/orsschools/ready-to-retire.


Q: Who are the FPS benefit carriers and what are our group numbers?

A: Here is a list of our providers and their group numbers. We do not have separate group numbers for the HDHP medical plans.

  • Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan – group #007006779
  • Blue Care Network – group #00134678
  • ADN (dental provider) – group #9001
  • NVA (vision provider) – group #13920001
  • Navia (FSA) – company code: FAI
  • UNUM Life & LTD – group #0409546
  • UNUM Voluntary Life – group #0409547
  • UNUM STD – group #0409545


Q: How do I request a new ID card?

A: Our medical, dental, vision and FSA providers all supply ID cards to members upon enrolling in the plan. If you lost your card, cannot read it or maybe just need an extra for a child going away to college, then you can usually request one by logging into your member website for the plan or by contacting customer service. Here are the phone numbers and websites for the carriers:


Q: I’m expecting a child.  How do I add the new baby to my health insurance?

A: As soon as the baby is born, you must contact the Benefits Department. You may complete and return the Add Baby Request Form or email the Benefits Department with the following information about the baby:

  • Date of birth
  • Name
  • Gender

You only have 30 days from the date of birth to add the baby to your insurance, so it is imperative to do this right away.  The effective date of the baby’s coverage will be retroactive to the date of birth as long as you provide this information within the 30 day window.  A few weeks after the baby arrives, you will receive the Social Security card in the mail. You must order copies of the birth certificate for your records and then provide a copy of the Birth Certificate to the Benefits Department, as well as notification of the Social Security number.  For your privacy and security, please do NOT email Social Security Numbers. You may provide this information over the phone or send a copy of the card via fax to 248-489-3318.


Q: Am I allowed to make changes to my benefits during the year?

A: You are only permitted to request a midyear change in your coverage if you have a life event as defined by the IRS. This can be the birth of a child, divorce, change in daycare, marriage, etc. You must report the change to the benefits office within 30 days of the event and provide documentation of the event. You will also need to complete the required paperwork for your request. For questions about life events, please contact the Benefits Office.


Q: Can I download forms from this web site and print them on my own printer?

A: Please download these forms and fill them out. You do not have to submit original forms. Then forward the completed forms to the Employee Benefits Department for processing. Please make sure they are legible!


Q: I am getting married, when can I add my spouse?

A: You only have a 30 day window from your date of marriage in which to add your spouse. To allow time for processing, please inform the Employee Benefits department of your marriage AS SOON AS POSSIBLE but no later than 3 weeks after the event. Information required:

  • Date of marriage
  • Spouse's name
  • Spouse's date of birth
  • Spouse's Social Security number
  • A copy of the marriage certificate
  • New address and phone number (if applicable)
  • Medical and/or Dental coverage of spouse (if applicable)


Q: My child is going to turn 26 this year, how long can I keep him/her on the insurance?

A: Dependents are allowed to remain on your policy until the end of the calendar year that they turn 26 years old. For example, if your child’s 26th birthday is April 29, 2017, he or she will be covered until December 31, 2017. 
To be covered beyond the age of 26, a dependent child must be a full-time student as verified with the university. You are required to submit documentation such as a receipt for tuition payment, letter from the registrar, or copy of the student’s schedule to substantiate full time status.

Please be sure to notify the Benefits Department AS SOON as a dependent no longer meets these requirements.


Q: My child is expecting a child, can we add the baby to my FPS coverage?

A: We cannot add a grandchild to FPS coverage unless you are a legal guardian and can provide court documentation to support the request. For covered daughter's, labor and delivery would be covered , however, care for the newborn after delivery would not be covered under your FPS coverage. Birth of a child is considered a life event, which would allow a covered daughter to pursue options under her employer (if coverage is available through their employer) to add coverage for herself and the baby within 30 days of the birth of the child. Contact the Benefits Department for questions regarding qualifying events.


Q: How do I get information concerning insurance coverage while traveling abroad?

A: Visit the travel abroad links on our links page