Continuity of Learning
Welcome to Farmington Public Schools' Continuity of Learning portal. This space is a way for the community to learn about and engage with the plan.
Each member of the Farmington Public Schools' community has a role in this plan - a role to support student learning and well-being, as well as our own. While we would all prefer to be face-to-face, within the safety and routine that a physical school and classroom provides, we know that moving to remote learning is the way we all can help secure a healthier community.
This “in-person” school closure has prompted us to learn to do school differently because schools are still open just at a different address. This opportunity affords us space to enhance instruction through technology integration, engage students differently, and empower students to own and manage their learning.
Continuity of Learning Plan Context:
All stakeholders are reminded to acknowledge that each person (administrator, teacher, student, parent/guardian, caregiver, etc.) has a personal context that has implications on their engagement during this time. All stakeholders are finding a new normal as they:
- manage work and home balance,
- manage stress and emotions in their own way,
- manage social connections,
- manage physical health.
Continuity of Learning Plan Goals:
- To provide students with continued academic learning.
- To provide students with continued connection with peers and staff.
- To maintain a sense of structure in the absence of a school day.
- To reduce the loss of learning and academic perseverance during this “in-person instructional break.”
Continuity of Learning Plan Components:
- Digital Classroom: Digital learning environments provide communication and access to learning experiences.
- Essential Standards: This plan moves learning forward with new content. Each grade level and course focus instruction on identified essential standards.
- Instructional Design: Lessons are designed to connect students with the concepts and skills of each content area. Weekly lesson design integrates both real-time and non-real time tasks, as well as online and offline tasks.
- Teacher-Student Connection: Teachers and students make periodic connections using a variety of methods to engage in learning together and to continue to build relationships.
- Monitoring Learning and Engagement: Students are provided opportunities to show their engagement and learning. Student learning and participation is monitored weekly for the purpose of supporting student growth.
- Instructional Time: Time guidelines and learning schedules are in place to guide instructional planning and participation.
- Social-Emotional Support: All members of the learning community are safe. Members respect and support each other’s self-care and well-being.
- Supports: Instructional accommodations for English Language Learners, Special Education, and 504 Learners are available as a part of this plan.
When students are participating in live sessions, parental/guardian consent is automatically given for photographic images or recordings to be created and retained by FPS.