Classroom Visits & Volunteering
In order to maintain a safe environment, minimize disruption for students within the learning environment, and to support quality teaching and learning in Farmington Public Schools, we utilize the following expectations:
- Classroom visits are opportunities for you to experience the teaching and learning environment of your child. Visits must be pre-arranged with the principal, who will determine the appropriate day, time, and duration of the visit after consultation with the teacher. Accordingly, a requested visit will typically require at least 48 hours advance notice. Normally, a visit will not extend beyond a period of one hour. Also, it is of utmost importance that you do not share information about individual students that you may observe in the classroom. Questions or concerns regarding the visit or time spent volunteering must be directed to the principal.
- Regular volunteering in a classroom is allowed but must be pre-arranged with the principal and classroom teachers to determine schedule and scope of activities that will be supported.
- The FPS Volunteer Application Form must be completed and be approved by the District prior to the next pre-planned visit/volunteering in the classroom.
- During visits and volunteering in the classroom, there should be no direct verbal communication with the classroom teacher that concerns your child. If your volunteering involves working with groups of students, please report any concerns to the teachers/and or school staff in charge at that time. Questions or concerns regarding the visit or time spent volunteering must be directed to the principal.
- The principal will be copied on all written communication should you want to direct questions or concerns in writing to the teacher.
- When visiting or volunteering in the classroom, interactions between parents and staff members must be respectful and appropriate.
- When visiting or volunteering in the classroom, any concerns should be addressed privately at a later time with the principal.
- If the need arises to use a cell phone, the call must be taken or made outside of the classroom.
Note: In an effort to maintain safety, any breach of this protocol by coming onto school property and entering the classroom without advanced notice and approval will be considered trespassing and treated as such.