Transfer Rule - MHSAA
MHSAA TRANSFER RULE
The Sport-Specific Transfer rule is based on participation in sports THIS YEAR. A student who does not meet an exception (e.g. full residential change) and transfers to another school will not be eligible in any sport he or she played this year (scrimmage or game) in the next season. In sports not played in the previous season, the student would be eligible.
Changing Schools and the Transfer Rule
THIS IS A SUMMARY: ALWAYS CONSULT THE SCHOOL ATHLETIC DIRECTOR
Once a student who is enrolled in grades 9 -12 changes schools, that student is not eligible for sports in the new school UNLESS they meet one of the 15 exceptions, which generally have to do with a residential change or a school’s status changing. Below are brief summaries of the 15 exceptions (these are not the full rule). There are many situations which are NOT exceptions and the transfer student is not eligible.
EIGHT RESIDENCY EXCEPTIONS
- Student moves with the people he/she was living with previously (full & complete)
- Not living with either parent moves back to them +
- Ward of the Court placed with foster parents.
- Approved International Program student moves in with host family in district. 2 semesters/3 trimesters then sit one year and may resume eligibility.
- Married student moves into school district.
- Student moves with or to divorced parent or parents never married (See Int. 92) (ETF) +
- An 18 year old moves without parents (ETF) +
- A student resides in a boarding school (ETF) +
+ Exceptions 2, 8, 12 & 13 are allowed once in grades 9-12.
(ETF) Educational Transfer Form is only for exceptions 8, 12 & 13.
FIVE SCHOOL STATUS EXCEPTIONS
- School ceases to operate, not merged (Int. 64 & 90)
- School is reorganized or consolidated
- School Board ordered safety or enrollment shift transfer.
- Achieved highest grade available in former school
- New school established; enrolled on first day
TWO STUDENT STATUS EXCEPTIONS
- Incoming 1st time 9th grader (Not applicable to J-1 or F-1 Visa Students)
- Expelled student returns under pre-existing criteria
The current MHSAA ETF must be completed by both school principals certifying that the transfer is not significantly related to or motivated by athletics and returned signed by the MHSAA before the student participates in a game or scrimmage. There is an allowance for students whose parents never married to use this form. (See Interpretation 92).