Enroll In School / Residency


    Welcome to Farmington Public Schools!

    (watch our welcome video! https://youtu.be/uAtfuQ7XZGA )

    We are happy you are here!  You can become a member of our fine school district in one of the following ways.


    District Residents

    If you reside within our District boundaries, you can enroll your children at any time. Farmington Public Schools includes Farmington, Farmington Hills and a portion of West Bloomfield. You can verify District boundaries by viewing our District Map.  If you are not sure which school your child should attend within our school district, please refer to our District Street Guide (Shows school assignments specific to street addresses).

    Farmington Public Schools is not an open enrollment school district. You must live within the state-defined District boundaries to enroll.  The State of Michigan bases residency on your domicile, typically identified as the place of permanent residence, where you sleep at night.  The only exception would be those students participating in Section 105 Schools of Choice.  


    Schools of Choice

    Please see our Schools of Choice Section Intra-District (Farmington Public Schools' Residents) and Section 105 (Oakland County Residents) for further information or contact Khristian.Alexander@fpsk12.net or 248-426-4692.


    Where to Enroll

    Enrollment takes place at the school building where the parent/legal guardian's child will attend based on their address.  See Boundary Maps or Street Guide to determine which school your child will attend.  

    If the parent/legal guardian does not own or rent their dwelling in which they are living, residency verification must begin at Central Office.  Please call 248-489-3349 to schedule an appointment.  Central Office's address is 32500 Shiawassee St., Farmington, MI 48336.  When the residency verification is complete, the parent/legal guardian will need to register the child at their assigned school.  


    Residency Documentation

    The parent/legal guardian must provide the following information at the time of enrollment: 


    Photo I.D., such as a driver’s license, State I.D., or passport of the parent or legal guardian. The driver’s license or state I.D. must show the current address*.

    Three current proofs; one from Column I, and two from Column II, in the name and address* of the parent or legal guardian. 

    * Farmington Public Schools does not accept a post office box or a mailbox store as a valid address.


    Column I (one required – must be current) Column II (two required – must be current)
    Warranty Deed Gas Bill
    Current Property Tax Statement Electric Bill

    Lease – Apartment/Home Rental – All tenants and authorized occupants' names (including children) must be on the lease.  The lease must include lease beginning/end dates. Both the landlord and tenant must sign the lease.

    Subleases are not accepted as proof of residency.  

    Internet/Cable/Satellite TV

    Closing Papers are only accepted if you moved into your house within the past 30 days (Water Bill Not Accepted)

    Accepted Purchase Agreement – Signed by all parties with the closing date indicated
    Depending on the time of year – with authorization from Central Office. 
    Contact Central Office for additional stipulations.  

    All above documents must be actual printed bills with your name and address on them.  (You can login to your online account and print the bills if you do not get paper bills mailed to you) We cannot accept an email or receipt of payment in an email as proof of residency. 



    Legal guardianship documentation, obtained from the Oakland County Probate Court, is required at the time of enrollment (if applicable). The student must live with the legal guardian residing in the school district. For more information about obtaining legal guardianship in Oakland County, please see their website at https://www.oakgov.com/courts/probate/case-types/guardianships-conservatorships/Pages/default.aspx


    Birth Certificate

    • A child must be at least five years of age on September 1, 2020, to enroll in Kindergarten for the 2020-21 school year.
    • An original birth certificate or certified copy with the raised seal must be provided, and a copy will be made.


    Immunization Records


    Vision Screening – Kindergarten

    Michigan Law (Public Health Code, Act 368, and Michigan School Code, Act 291) requires a vision screening for kindergarten entrance. 

    Vision screening done in preschool by a health department technician or a doctor's office fulfills this requirement. 

    Oakland County Health Division offers free vision screening for County residents.  Call 248-424-7070 for an appointment. 

    Free Vision Screening for Oakland County Residents flier.  


    Records from Previous Schools

    Parent/legal guardian will be asked to supply the student's records from the previous school or sign a release for a request of the records.