Farmington High School is a Candidate School* for the International Baccalaureate Career-related Programme (CP)
Farmington Public Schools has been a candidate school* for the IB Career-related Programme (CP) since July, 2018. The IBCP combines the best of IB education aligned with our existing well renowned Career & Technical Education (CTE) program. The Career-related Programme is designed for students who desire a combination of the rigor and benefits of an IB education (IB Overview) and career-related learning with an emphasis on developing lifelong workplace readiness skills and applied knowledge, critical thinking and international mindedness consistent with the IB philosophy while exploring a career pathway of your choice. This programme is intended to prepare students for their future success in college and beyond.
Watch this video to learn more about what the IB Career-related Programme is all about.
The Career-related Programme
Students enrolled in the IBCP during the 11th and 12th grade years and complete the following requirements:
- A two-year Career-related Study. This is a pathway chosen from a variety of Career & Technical Education (CTE) options in areas such as health science, business management, marketing, engineering and automotive technology.
- Two IB diploma courses (minimum) selected to complement their chosen career pathway and meet graduation requirements
- Two semesters of the Personal & Professional Skills class which focuses on The IB Learner Profile and is designed to encourage the development of transferable attitudes, skills and strategies for present and future academic and workplace success. This course also provides support for the additional required CP Core Components* which include:
- Reflective Project - an essay on a career-related ethical dilemma (50 hours)
- Service Learning - real-world application focused on a community need (50 hours)
- Language Development - development of additional language skills to broaden their global perspective of the world (50 hours)
*Students should expect to complete a portion of the required hours outside of the classroom
- Additional required and elective courses to meet FPS Graduation Requirements
Upon successful completion of the IBCP requirements, students earn an International Baccalaureate Career-related Programme Certificate in addition to their high school diploma upon graduation as well as career-related certifications offered throughout the course of study.
* Only schools authorized by the International Baccalaureate can offer any of its four academic programmes: the Primary Years Programme (PYP), the Middle Years Programme (MYP), the Diploma Programme or the IB Career-related Certificate (IBCC). Candidate status gives no guarantee that authorization will be granted. For further information about the IB and its programmes, visit www.ibo.org The application for authorization has been submitted and the verification visit will take place this year. It is our intent to implement the Career-related Programme beginning September, 2020, upon IB approval.
If you want to learn more about how the IB CP is benefiting students around the world? Check out this link: How the CP is making a difference for students
For further information about the IB Career-related Programme, contact the Career-related Programme Coordinator Designate, Janet Cadeau at email@example.com or leave a voicemail at 248.426.2813.